Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Education is like playing baseball




Getting an education is like playing the game of baseball. As a ball player as well as a student you learn the fundamentals of education and baseball at a very young age. You need these fundamentals to make yourself a good player and student. As you grow and progress you learn new things each day about yourself, others and the subject that is at hand during classes, practices or games. Regardless of how old you get, as a player or as a student you always need to go back and refer to the fundamentals that you learned in the earlier grades or earlier years playing baseball. In baseball you have a coach that does everything they can to make you a better player on and off the field, who tries to teach you everything there is to know about the game each day. The coach can be compared to a teacher in a classroom. A teacher each day not only tries to teach you new information regarding particular subjects in school, but he or she tries to make you be a better student and person. This metaphor of education being similar to playing baseball shows that no matter how old you get you always will need your fundamentals that you learned when you were younger. Even if you don't think that something simple that you learned at a young age will help you in the long run, it will, more than you even realize. Those fundamentals could be the reason you win the championship or ace the test to get an A in the class.

I found this class to be extremely helpful and interesting, and I learned so much that I can take with me in furthering my education to becoming a teacher as well as when I become a teacher. Although I learned from everything we did and read in this class I think the most important thing that I learned from was the observation hours. During my field observation everyone was so helpful and welcoming. They all had some advice to give me about furthering my education as well as for when I become a teacher. I learned so much, big ideas and little ideas to help me become the teacher I want to be. I think the major thing I learned from observing in a classroom was how a classroom should be run and how a teacher should be toward their students. Another major thing I learned from this class was about inclusion. At first I was somewhat skeptical on my view about inclusion but after researching it and discussing it with the class it was pretty easy to declare a view. I believe that all students, no matter what the disability is should be included in the classroom as much as possible without negatively effecting any student. The last thing I learned was that unfortunately racism in fact, still does exist in the classroom. Until learning about this in this class I never took the time to think about whether racism still existed in schools today. This class made me be fully aware that racism does exist and we need to put a stop to it. I really and truly did enjoy this class and I think that everything I learned is going to be extremely helpful to me in the future.

I really enjoyed learning and hearing about the other peoples opinions and views in their blogs. I enjoyed the blogs much more than the discussions because everyone went more in depth in their blogs. People made great points and brought things to my attention that I would have never thought about unless I read their blog. I think the thing that I really enjoyed learning from other's blogs were about inclusion. I was amazed at how everyone had somewhat of a different opinion about this topic and how controversial it really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment